Re: proftpd questions *solved*

> > I'm interested in restricting what directories proftp will show to
> > users. I know that on the /home/* I can just do a chmod o-rwx /home/*
> > and that fixes that.. but I want proftpd limited to /home/
> >
> > currently I only want proftpd to be able to access /home/shared
> > but I want it's base to be /home/
> >
> > what's the easiest way to do this? I've already limited it to only being
> > able to access /home/shared in the /home/ dir... but people can still cd
> > / and at least view the rest of the filesystem. I want to prevent any
> > viewing except in /home/
>
> Sounds like you need to look into chroots, if that's what proftpd calls
> them too.

Actually you saying that is what gave me the hint: here's how I fixed
it.

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User		nobody				<- unchanged
Group		netaccess			<- customized
DefaultRoot	/home/ netaccess,!users		<- limits access to everyone
						   except those added to the
						   group: users

You can also use ~ to limit to their own directory. But I couldn't get
it to work, but I also didn't want that, limiting to /home/ is fine by
me.

Thanks for the hint that pointed me in the right direction.

--
Michelle Alexia "Jade" Storm
Dragon Impersonating a Human and failing.