Re: Sound Help needed

Wathen, Metherion said:
> I have an older pentium 100 class PC with some strange no-name sound card
> in it. The chips say they're Crystal 4231 but I don't see modules for them
> in modules selection on the Debian cds. Would Debian.org have them? What
> other mods can I use and can they be added after my system is already up
> and running?

assuming your running the default kernel(2.2.20 I think), I yanked
this from the kernel documentation:

To configure the Crystal CS423x sound chip and activate its DSP functions,
modules may be loaded in this order:

	modprobe sound
	insmod ad1848
	insmod uart401
	insmod cs4232 io=* irq=* dma=* dma2=*

This is the meaning of the parameters:

	io--I/O address of the Windows Sound System (normally 0x534)
	irq--IRQ of this device
	dma and dma2--DMA channels (DMA2 may be 0)

On some cards, the board attempts to do non-PnP setup, and fails.  If you
have problems, use Linux' PnP facilities.

To get MIDI facilities add

	insmod opl3 io=*

where "io" is the I/O address of the OPL3 synthesizer. This will be shown
in /proc/sys/pnp and is normally 0x388.

if your running 2.4.x the procedure may be slightly different.

nate