Re: dhcpd and pppoe and name servers

At 06:02 AM 11/22/02 -0800, Jeff wrote:
>I can vouch for dnsmasq.  I just installed it based on this email.  I
>have a cable-modem connected to eth0 and eth1 goes to a hub and
>several PC's that are NAT'd.

Yep, I'm using it too.  Seems fine, although not sure why not just use Bind
(except that dnsmasq is so easy to setup).

>I made one change to the
>/etc/init.d/dnsmasq script to make it listen only on eth1 upon
>startup.  Quick and easy!

I think you should be editing
   /etc/default/dnsmasq

>Oh, and I changed my dhcp server to serve itself as the dnsserver.

because dnsmask and dhcp are running on the same machine, right?  As in
this in /etc/dhcpd.conf:

   option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

>I've always used my ISP's DNS primarily, so that's no bother for me.
>dnsmasq feeds off of /etc/hosts so I can simply add hosts there and
>they will be served locally.

Yes the dnsmasq setup is very cool.  I'm using /etc/ppp/resolve.conf for
adding dns servers on pppoe connection.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org