Re: mail reader for news and mail

-- Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> wrote
(on Friday, 22 November 2002, 12:31 AM +1100):
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:54:15AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:06:16AM -0800, Debian User wrote:
> > > Any suggestions for client that reads mail *and* news?
> > You don't see much software designed to do both, because the design
> > itself is both bad and borne of laziness.  It's not *that* hard to
> > open two xterms and type one command in each for starters, and it's
> > far better to do one function well than two craptastically.  Which is
>
> Or start them in screen; then it just takes a quick 'ctrl-a a' to switch
> between them.
I do this all day... :-)

> > BTW, news is to mail as tin is to elm, I'm wondering if there's a mutt
> > equivilent to tin...
>
> I've heard that there is a patch to mutt that allows it to work with
> nntp; I'm sure a google search will turn it up.
http://www.fiction.net/blong/programs/mutt/#nntp

The patch requires inews (deb package inews). You also need to know the
specific newsgroup(s) from which you want to grab news. You can post and
followup to messages directly from mutt. Haven't tried it, but a number
of people on comp.mail.mutt seem to like it.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net