Re: OT: Politics of Java

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:34:16PM -0600, Michael Kahle wrote:
> Is the standard, "controlled entirely by Sun"?

It's by the JCP.
Anyone may join the JCP; I don't think that Java is controlled mainly by
Sun.

> I'm not sure how mature this is, but if your interested in Java programming
> without the politics.
> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

The above is the collection of the tools (for developing Java programs).
I believe that _implementing_ Java is open for anyone. What Sun wants is
just that if your products want to be called "Java", then comply to what
JCP says on Java (the spec. I mean). I think it's not only on the Java
language, but also on the bytecodes; you have to follow certain
standards.

Oki