Re: OT: Politics of Java

* Oki DZ (okidz@pindad.com) [021121 01:05]:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:34:16PM -0600, Michael Kahle wrote:
> > Is the standard, "controlled entirely by Sun"?
>
> It's by the JCP.
> Anyone may join the JCP; I don't think that Java is controlled mainly by
> Sun.
>
> > I'm not sure how mature this is, but if your interested in Java programming
> > without the politics.
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
>
> The above is the collection of the tools (for developing Java programs).
> I believe that _implementing_ Java is open for anyone. What Sun wants is
> just that if your products want to be called "Java", then comply to what
> JCP says on Java (the spec. I mean). I think it's not only on the Java
> language, but also on the bytecodes; you have to follow certain
> standards.

This actually worked out quite nicely a few years back with Microsoft
tried its "embrace and extend" technique with visual J++.  Sun said
"that ain't Java," and it was good.  Otherwise, there would be all this
MS Java crap floating around that would only work correctly on windows,
abandoning Java's cross-platform ideology.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/