difficulties installing on a Compaq Presario 1020

I'm having a few problems installing Debian on an older Compaq Presario 1020
P120 with 48MB RAM.  (Yes I just read the thread on Compaqs - I agree that
after I get everything working it'll probably be great)

1) The worst one is that after apm -s, apm -S, or alt-F3 the system acts all
weird after waking up again.  The clock slows down to about half-speed and in
X11 (icewm or blackbox) the screen keeps on blanking, until I reboot.

-Doesn't matter whether I suspend in console or X mode.
-Console mode seems to work find after suspend, although I haven't checked if
the clock slows down there too.
-stopping and starter x server doesn't help.

I'm using a custom kernel with apm loaded as a module but all the other APM
options off.  My first custom kernel had most of them on but I recompiled
with them off to try and solve the problem.  Should I give up and go to a
linux software-suspend?

2) How can I make it stop beeping every time I hit tab to auto-complete when
there is more than one possibility, and when I hit backspace at the beginning
of a line?  Other than turning the volume all the way down.  Happens in
console and X.  esound daemon is now uninstalled.

3) When I open up an xterm from the icewm toolbar, it doesn't read my .bashrc
file.  I have to type source .bashrc to get it to read it.  The command the
toolbar runs has the -ls option in it, which should be saying it's a login
shell no?  (OK, not Compaq's fault!)

Other than that, and the modem which pppconfig can't find and I suspect may
be a Winmodem (but it doesn't say in the owner's manual!), and the extra
multimedia keys which xev doesn't think exist, it's running great.  Emacs and
Gnumeric run quite quickly.

Thanks for any help,
-Levi