RE: Help: Connecting two Debian boxes directly

Modern nics auto-detect the speed of the network, but at the moment you have
no network so prehaps they are having problems while they both tryu to
determine the speed.

Usually there is an option you can set in modconf, to specify the network
speed, typically speed=10 or speed=100, some drivers expect 0,1,2.

Check your manufacturers docs for specifics.

Also, you might want to consider forcing duplex as well.

If you can get hold of the docs, I would start with setting both cards to
10/halfduplex and take it from there.

But I would look at physical connection first, do you have link light on the
cards ?
Are there any diagnostic lights which might help ?
can you get another cable ?
Can you use another device to test connection ?