Re: hdparm and DMA and raid

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:04:49 +0100, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> [slightly change/addition of topic]
>
> It seems like you could try 2.4.20-pre2-ac5 (or later I guess) instead
> of stepping to 2.5, at least the change log says "Add VIA vt8235 IDE
> support".

Excellent.  I will compile one when I get back from work on the Weekend.

> > In fact, I am seriously considering purchasing another harddisk the same
> > as this one and then RAIDing them.  My motherboard supports RAID0 and
> > RAID1 and at the very least I would be able to see what the other drive
>
> (This should probably be a new thread...)
>
> As I don't know your mobo I might be wrong, but the general opinion
> seems to be "stay away from the built in raid and go for linux software
> raid".  Usually the cheap so called raid chip/cards are just new bios
> instructions to do software raid anyway, something that the kernel could
> probably do better.  raid0 can be done with either od MD, LVM or EVMS.
> I've used LVM before and found it both quite simple and well
> functioning, and is testing EVMS currently.

I didn't know that.  I always thought that the hardware Raid would be
better.  My mobo is an ASUS A7V8X with VIA VT8235 chip and support for
ATA133 and the new serial IDE drives.  The drive currently is connected
with a 80pin cable.  It supports Raid0 and Raid1 apparently.  The
processor is an AMD 1.67Ghz and 512Mb DDR-266 Ram.  The Drive is WD400JB
(40GB, 7200RPM, ATA133).  I expected the hard drive to "kick ass"
relative to my older machine on an older mobo with normal 40pin connector,
WD400BB (40GB, 7200RPM, ATA100?).  But in fact the data transfer speeds
from the new harddisk is only a fraction of the older one's.

I think it is time to compile a 2.4.20 kernel and see what this baby can
really do.

> Try a new kernel first, I got a feeling that will help.  And you really
> need to get dma working, that "essential".  But of course, one can
> hardly have to much disk...

I will do that.  One further question though:  If I do get another drive
and implement the software RAID as you suggest, it shouldn't matter if
the drives are different in size or type, right?

Cheers.
Mark.