Sound card problem

Hi,
In my Debian woody box sound card is not working I'm having creative
vibra 128 card #sndconfig says Sound module not found you don't seems to
be running a kernel with modular sound enable (soundcore.o was not
found) and it's supported with Linux 2.2 but It's impossible because
it's woody ;)

In KDE it gives an error at startup
Error while initializing sound drivers
Device /dev/dsp can't be open (permision denied) even in root
I changed #chmod 777 /dev/dsp after that it says (can't open no such
device)

In /dev there are 3 dsp files it might be the problem (its not selected
the correct dsp file) but what the config file for sound cards?

Please tell me how to config my sound card

Thanks in advice
Chanka perera