Re: hdparm and DMA

I really appreciate the effort you and others have put into helping me
with this problem.  Unfortunately, I won't be able do things like
compile a 2.5 kernel or re-boot with ide0=ata66, until I return from
work in about 5 days time.  I don't want to do stuff like that remotely.

The first thing I will try will be to re-boot with that ide setting
passed to the kernel since I think the problem may be related to my
motherboard using a VIA VT8235 chipset.  Then I will work from there.
In fact, I am seriously considering purchasing another harddisk the same
as this one and then RAIDing them.  My motherboard supports RAID0 and
RAID1 and at the very least I would be able to see what the other drive
can do and compare.  Then I can complain on my warranty if this drive is
truly got problems.  However, the downside to this approach is that if
it is merely a driver support issue then I will have two drives that are
not supported well.  Hmmmm.

Cheers.
Mark.