Re: Disappearing DHCP Lease

On November 19, 2002 10:53 am, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> Jim Bowering wrote:
> > I'm using Libranet Debian 2.0.  This machine always gets a DHCP lease
> > from my ISP when it boots, but they seem to have a short default lease
> > period. After about 2 hours I lose my lease.

> This is just a guess, but perhaps your DHCP "client" is obtaining an
> initial lease before the firewall is started, and your firwall has ports
> 67 and 68 blocked.  These ports need to be open so your DHCP client can
> communicate with your ISP's DHCP server to renew leases.  My firewall
> has these ports open and renews the lease on my cable modem about every
> two hours just fine.

/etc/rc2.d does have dhcp before firestarter, but my Firestarter-generated
firewall.sh contains this:

#DHCP
$IPT -t filter -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 0/0 --dport 67:68 -i $IF -j ACCEPT
$IPT -t filter -A INPUT -p udp -s 0/0 -d 0/0 --dport 67:68 -i $IF -j ACCEPT

which opens the ports on eth0 ($IF), and when I manually run
/etc/init.d/networking restart it re-establishes my connection.

> BTW, thanks for mentioning FIRESTARTER!  I have been looking for
> something like this to replace my current firewall, and have generally
> been intimidated by writing my own iptables ruleset.  This looks like
> just the thing to get me started.

I'm finding it very useful.

--
Jim Bowering <iamb@otvcablelan.net>