Re: Ready to take the plunge...

On 18 Nov 2002 21:48:36 -0600
ZephyrQ <ZephyrQ@att.net> wrote:

> 	I've pretty much decided to take the Debian plunge, but now I need some
> direction.
>
> 	Is it better to wipe my partition clean (it has SuSE 8 right now) and
> then install?  My /home partition is on another physical drive (for now)
> so it will be fine, but what about other packages I have installed?
> Save the tarballs and burn a CD?
>
> 	Also, who should I get the distribution from?  I have a slow dial-up
> connection, so downloading a whole system (with OOffice) is a bit
> unweildy.  I would also like a *little* dead-tree documentation to help
> me through the install as I have heard it is a bear to accomplish.

Would selecting the packages from the debian c.d. set be o.k.?
I would use aptitude to add the packages you want to the base install.
I think you may want to avoid adding non debian packages to avoid the
dreaded dependancy issues. ( Skilled Debian users jump in here! )

This is the very verbose debian instructions

The official instruction may work fine for you
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.en.html

I purchased a c.d. set before dsl was available in my village
http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

But if your in Canada ... where I got mine:
Vendor: ComputerHelperGuy
URL for Debian Page: http://www.chguy.net/CDsets.html
Allows Contribution to Debian: Yes

Any problems or further specific questions please write the list again.