Re: [OT] Clearing a BIOS password

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 21:38, nate wrote:
> Mark L. Kahnt said:
> > Anyone remember how to clear a password on a BIOS?
>
> this is very vendor specific, some bios's have backdoor passwords
> too.
>

> > Yeah, it's all complicated - simply put, I need to clear the BIOS
> > password, and I've forgotten the normal trick (other than removing the
> > battery and disconnecting the power supply, and hoping the CMOS is static
> > RAM rather than EEPROM - which one guy I know used a number of years back
> > for his garage-built line of boxes.)
>
> this is what I would do, I've never seen it not work. most boards
> also have a jumper that you can switch to clear it as well(no need
> to disconnect power or battery).
>
> the first motherboards I worked on was in 486DX2 era, perhaps earlier
> boards were different.
>
> nate

It's an AMI on a machine installed only two years ago (I did the
install,) so I presume that the board itself is probably 2 1/2 years
old. I can see the battery, although it involves yanking two cards (it
is tucked in between the top PCI and the AGP card connectors.) I have
not seen any sign of a manual for the motherboard - my luck is that it
is on one of the CDs buried deep in some directory in a PDF file :(

I just want to get his key data backed up, figure out how to get Windows
restored, defrag, repartition, and get Linux and GRUB installed, and
then pray that he proves to be naturally adept at KDE or GNOME (he did
catch on to many things quickly, only uses this box for email and
browsing, and took a course on computer basics, including actually
learning what "binary" means.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org