Re: [OT] Clearing a BIOS password

Mark L. Kahnt said:
> Anyone remember how to clear a password on a BIOS?

this is very vendor specific, some bios's have backdoor passwords
too.

> Yeah, it's all complicated - simply put, I need to clear the BIOS
> password, and I've forgotten the normal trick (other than removing the
> battery and disconnecting the power supply, and hoping the CMOS is static
> RAM rather than EEPROM - which one guy I know used a number of years back
> for his garage-built line of boxes.)

this is what I would do, I've never seen it not work. most boards
also have a jumper that you can switch to clear it as well(no need
to disconnect power or battery).

the first motherboards I worked on was in 486DX2 era, perhaps earlier
boards were different.

nate