Using Lilo to select different Kernels

I've recently installed 2.4.18 and 2.4.16-SMP kernels on two machines using
the prepackaged kernels.  Easy.  Very nice.

I'm in the process of learning to compile my own kernels, and since I do
everything the Debian way, i'll be a kpkg guy and build .debs of my custom
kernels, which will install in identical fashion, as the prepackaged kernels.

That said, as near as I can tell from looking in /boot, when one installe
a kernel in this fashion, everything is still there from the previous kernel
except the symlink from vmlinuz to the kernel or initrd image, so . . .

Is it possible to have multiple LILO entries to boot different kernels off
of the same /boot partition?

And as a followup, what's the difference between booting a kernel, and booting
an initrd image?  Why have the prepackaged kernels moved to initrd?  Why would I want to build my custom kernels to boot
as initrd images?  Why wouldn't I?

TIA as this inquiring mind wants to know . . .

madmac

--
Doug MacFarlane
madmac@covad.net