From: "sean finney" <seanius@seanius.net>
To: "Dale Miracle" <dalem@teoi.net>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 12:43 AM
Subject: Re: dpkg will not remove package

hiya,

have you tried using apt?  apt is the frontend to the dpkg/deb system
that deals with things like dependencies.  to completely remove
something you can do

# apt-get --purge remove packagename

and it should detect anything that it would break, and ask you if
you want to remove all of that as well.  if you're not familiar with
apt, i'd recommend glancing over the apt-get and apt-cache man pages,
those are two very cool features of debian.  also, if your system
has ended up in some kind of wierd everythings-half-installed-and-broken
state, try

# apt-get -f install

which will try and fix things as best as an automated package management
system can do on its own.

hth,
sean

ps - for future reference, could you please wrap your lines between
75 and 80 columns?