Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

There seems to be a large number of questions about getting video cards
with the ATI Rage 128 chipset up and running.  The following URL is one
that I found most useful in getting my Xpert 2000 up and running.

http://two.ucdavis.edu/~holland/unix/xpert2000.html

The relevant section of my XF86config-4 file is:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Xpert2000"
	Chipset         "ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP)"
	Driver          "r128"
	VideoRam        32768
EndSection

I had to add the Chipset line to get XFree86 to fire up.

Someone else a week or two  ago mentioned having trouble with OpenGL
applications.  The application that gives my setup the most problem is
ghemical, although I haven't tried it lately, and with Debian, my
computer (display?)  doesn't freeze up.

Debian's XFree86 packages seem to work the best with my hardware
setup, and I haven't had to recompile kernels, XFree86 packages or anything
like that.  It is actually the reason why I use the Debian distribution
as opposed to RedHat.

Tony