Re: framebuffer mode?

#include <hallo.h>
* andrej hocevar [Fri, Nov 15 2002, 04:25:41PM]:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 05:07:06PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> > fb0: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
> >
> > what is the advantage of this mode?
>
> By that you probably mean the advantage of using frame buffers in
> general, right? Well, I have the impression this is one of those
> things people either love or hate. I think that many here hate it,

The main reason was the usage of this kernel for the boot-floppies. When
you look in the installer, you will see that we are using an UTF-8
enabled terminal on top of the framebuffer, so you can read multibyte
charsets.

> for that matter. On the other side, I happen to like it.
> I first began using it when I bought an LCD monitor which was so to
> say useless otherwise -- the letters weren't sharp at all. On my

With LCDs, you can specify vga=317 with the bf2.4 kernel to get 1024x768
resolution for the installation.

> kind of makes switching between a normal console and one with, say,
> a dvi-viewing program a lot smoother. If you like, you can (under
> certain circumstances) use an image-aware w3m in the console. But
> that I really didn't like.

Really? IIRC this only works in X, since w3m-img blits the images into
the X' video buffer.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--