Re: framebuffer mode?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 05:07:06PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> fb0: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
>
> what is the advantage of this mode?

By that you probably mean the advantage of using frame buffers in
general, right? Well, I have the impression this is one of those
things people either love or hate. I think that many here hate it,
for that matter. On the other side, I happen to like it.
I first began using it when I bought an LCD monitor which was so to
say useless otherwise -- the letters weren't sharp at all. On my
brother's computer with a NVidia Geforce4, I had constant problems;
switching to X and back to the console made it display only half of
each line, pretty weird. I didn't want to mess with those proprietary
drivers so I figured frame buffers solved that as well. Besides, it
kind of makes switching between a normal console and one with, say,
a dvi-viewing program a lot smoother. If you like, you can (under
certain circumstances) use an image-aware w3m in the console. But
that I really didn't like.

What I want to say is that it's sometimes handy for the console,
mostly.

> does it mean any extra overhead?
Yes, on a slower computer it's not such a good idea, you have to try
it out. But it also depends on your card.

> how do i turn it off and on?
I see it's the vga16 fb device; that has been suggested here before.
It was something like video=vga16:off (in your bootloader's config)
but I use another one, atyfb, so I'm not sure if the syntax is
right. By the way, you may most definitely want to experiment with
the resolutions as well, eg. I use these options: vga=0x305
video=atyfb:1024x768@70.
You may want to take a look at the Documentation/fb/ folder in your
kernel's source.

	andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates