From: ian [mailto:ianrs@softhome.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 9:09 PM
To: Carlos Munoz
Subject: Re: I can't start the x-windows

At 09:35 AM 11/14/02 +0100, you wrote:
>     I've got a Woody installation that works with some problems, but the
>most important is the x-windows
>     Ive installed the new drivers for nvidia taken from the web, but it
>wasn't the solution to my problem.
>     When I try to start x, it says me that  there isn't a screen (no, that
>isn't a joke). but I can see my screen!!
>     I've put here my Xfree86.0.log and my XF86Config-4 and I'll apreciate
>any help.

>and that's my XF86Config-4 file :
>
>Section "Device"
>  Identifier "Nvidia"
>  Driver  "nvidia"
I use nv instead of nvidia

>  Option  "UseFBDev"  "true"
I commented this line

>EndSection

I had a similar problem
I am using a nvidia geforce2 MX with XFree86 v. 4.1 nv drivers. I didn't
bother downloading the drivers from nvidia.com
The next step was to edit my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and comment the line
under the "Section Device" UseFBDev.
Hope this helps
ian