Help with tape tar and backup over the network

I have a DAT tape drive which works on my RH6 server I would like to use it to backup my Debian machine. I cannot seem to make the tar syntax work for me. Does anyone use this type of setup and what rights need to be setup on the server (hosts.allow, etc) to permit this to work?

tar -cvf <hostname:>/dev/st0 /home

this does not seem to work. I get an error

 "rsh <hostname:> Name or service not known
tar <hostname\:/dev/st0 Cannot open: input/output error
tar error is not recoverable. exiting now

Nothing in the logs on the server to indicate if the connection was denied or why it might have been.