Re: argh! aptitude/dselect/apt-get dieing????

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:54:51AM -0600, Mark A. Bialik wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > This may sound callous, but those "some people" - or at least those
> > people who *can* fix it, perhaps not trivially easily - are the only
> > people who should be using unstable.
>
> ... and there are some people who run unstable because certain packages
> and/or versions of packages they need are only in unstable.
>
> The alternative would be to run a different distribution or compile from
> source, and we wouldn't want that, would we?  :)

No that is not correct if you understand basics of Debian.

You should run basically testing.  You can still use selective packages
from unstable using apt preferences.  If one has skill and care to do
this, you will not hit this bump in the very bad way.

Also chroot and pbuilder exist for developers who needs latest unstable.
So fixing problem as such is non-issue.

I know Brian who complained this in -devel list was rightfully pissed at
the care taken by the uploader and he can deal with this situation
without problem.  Most interesting part of Colin's comment is
> This may sound callous, but those "some people" - or at least those
> people who *can* fix it, perhaps not trivially easily - are the only
> people who should be using unstable.
which is not aimed to person like Brian.  But I suppose it is aimed to
the majority of unstable followers who are looking for the nicer
desktop without learning basics of Debian system.

Anyway, recent bash break due to bison was fun to watch and that was not
too much about gross negligence issue as much as this one.

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract