Re: aptitude locked

On Thursday 14 November 2002 01:59, nate wrote:
> Michael Naumann said:
> >   Warning: could not lock the chache file. Opening in read-only mode.
>
> I have never used this program, but if it were me the first
> thing I would do is run strace on the app
>
> strace aptitude

That's one thing I also tried.

> and see what file(s) its trying to access. if the screen scrolls
> to hell and back I do:
>
> strace aptitude >&strace.log

I usually go for
strace -e open ....
or
strace -e file ...
to reduce the output to what's probably most meaningful for me.

> and load strace.log in your favorite text editor or text pager.
>
> nate

There was one lock-file mentioned.
IIRC it was /var/lib/aptitude/lock. I currently have no acces to the
box so I can't tell exactly. But anyway, deleting this file did not solve
my problem.

So I still get (from aptitude)
  Warning: could not lock the cache file. Opening in read-only mode.

Any clues?, Michael