Re: aptitude locked

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:08:08AM +0100, Michael Naumann wrote:
> Last day I had a heavy crash of my woody box.
> I suspect some misbehaviour of xmms here.
> The whole display was very flickery and no
> application responded any more, though I saw, that
> gkrellm was still working. Even switching to a console (ALT-F1)
> did not succeed. I had the the X-screen still visible, jumping
> half a page to the left each time I hit a key.
> Had no luck in rebooting blindly.

I've had that happen with X on my laptop. My standard method to attempt
to get out of that state is to return to X (I tend to have num lock on
in X, a useful indicator to show that I am at the right screen), wait
until the load on the system is lower, change to console. If the screen
looks either grey or normal, it worked (although grey needs the "reset"
command)

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com