aptitude locked

Last day I had a heavy crash of my woody box.
I suspect some misbehaviour of xmms here.
The whole display was very flickery and no
application responded any more, though I saw, that
gkrellm was still working. Even switching to a console (ALT-F1)
did not succeed. I had the the X-screen still visible, jumping
half a page to the left each time I hit a key.
Had no luck in rebooting blindly.

Long story, short end: I had to reboot.

Now my problem: I cannot start aptitude.
It says in a red box:
  Warning: could not lock the chache file. Opening in read-only mode.

Any clues how to continue from here ?

tia, Michael