Printing Problem

I'm using Debian (woody) and I have two locales installed on my
computer:
   en_US ISO-8859-1
   ru_RU KOI8-R

After adding an additional XkbLayout and XkbOptions to my XF86Config-4
file and adding the environmental variables to /etc/profile, I am able
to display and type both the English and Russian alphabets.

However, when I print, only English characters print correctly.
Russian characters print incorrectly or do not print at all.  I am
printing to a HP DeskJet through LPRng/magicfilter/ghostscript.

While installing the Russian fonts, I received the following message:
"WARNING - absolute path /usr/lib/X11/fonts/type1/ was provided."
This seems to contradict the the "Files" section of XF86Config-4,
which indicates that cyrillic fonts should be located in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/.  I don't know whether this is part of
the problem.

Advice on how to fix this printing problem is greatly appreciated.

Harold Crouch
harold@cmh.net