Re: address book for mutt

-- Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 13 November 2002, 12:02 PM +0530):
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:49:52AM +0100, Vinai Kopp wrote:

> > > oh! i must say a big thank you to you. here is the format of my csv file:
> > >
> > > "Title","First Name","Middle Name","Last Name","Suffix","Company","Department","Job Title","Business Street","Business Street 2","Business Street 3","Business City","Business State","Business Postal Code","Business Country","Home Street","Home Street 2","Home Street 3","Home City","Home State","Home Postal Code","Home Country","Other Street","Other Street 2","Other Street 3","Other City","Other State","Other Postal Code","Other Country","Assistant's Phone","Business Fax","Business Phone","Business Phone 2","Callback","Car Phone","Company Main Phone","Home Fax","Home Phone","Home Phone 2","ISDN","Mobile Phone","Other Fax","Other Phone","Pager","Primary Phone","Radio Phone","TTY/TDD Phone","Telex","Account","Anniversary","Assistant's Name","Billing Information","Birthday","Categories","Children","Directory Server","E-mail Address","E-mail Type","E-mail Display Name","E-mail 2 Address","E-mail 2 Type","E-mail 2 Display Name","E-mail 3 Address","E-mail 3 Type","E-mail 3 Display Name","Gender","Government ID Number","Hobby","Initials","Internet Free Busy","Keywords","Language","Location","Manager's Name","Mileage","Notes","Office Location","Organizational ID Number","PO Box","Priority","Private","Profession","Referred By","Sensitivity","Spouse","User 1","User 2","User 3","User 4","Web Page"
> > >

> > Wow, this are a loooot of fields - I count 90.
>
> well, i did not do that! ms gives this as default!
>
> okay. here is what i will like to do - use abook as immediate relief. can i 'map' my csv
> fields with abook fields and import that file in abook? abook has --convert option but it
> messed up as the format it expected in the csv file was not the format i had.
>
> there is a chance that out of 90, i am only using 15 fields and if i can map it well with
> abook then i am through
>
> subsequently, i will like to see if any other addressbook program is available that can
> handle these and custom fields and is queriable from mutt
>
> > You realize all other data will be ignored (i.e. lost).
>
> not if i can 'map' fields.
>
> > Do you want to use "Home", "Business" or "Other" addresses from the
> > cvs file in abook?
>
> well, for quite a few contacts - friends and relatives for instance, i have home and
> business addresses.
>
> > Oh, and "notes" can be only one line.

Do you still have the address book on your windows machine? Is it
possible to export the addresses as vCards? If so, it might make sense
for you to do so, and then import them into gnomecard (in deb package
gnome-pim). lbdb (little brother database) has conduits for gnomecard,
which means that you could use lbdb to grab addresses from gnomecard for
mutt. (I use lbdb with the palm modules to grab addresses synced from my
palm by jpilot -- it's seamless, fast, and very useful.)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net