Re: Debugging sound, where do I start?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input.  I am logging in using gdm <I assume that autologin
means that one doesn't have to enter uid & passwd> typing in uid and
passwd.  I load opl3sa2 as the last entry in /etc/modules.  If I login
choosing twm <Xsession in gdm> and from the console type:
 play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

Using your advice, I experimented further.  I get the sound <provided the
mixer levels are proprely set>.  I can do so repeatedly with "impunity".
If I attempt to login to Gnome or KDE the box crashes <kernel and all>
when the respective environements attempt to play their startup sounds.
I tried turning off the startup sounds in both KDE and Gnome, this delays
the failure.  I then switched off "esd" for gnome and aRTs for KDE using
their respective configuration tools.  This allows me to get into full
Gnome and KDE environments <sans event sounds> and I can play sounds using
"play" from the console.

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

tia

--
Luc Lefebvre                                 o
                                            /`-'

Key fingerprint = D2E5 5E35 B910 6F4E 0242  EC63 0FD9 96D0 C7F4 784E