Re: SOLVED: Re: corrupt root fs

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 08:49, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2002, 21:21:02, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Maybe it's heat problems?  I've heard of plenty of machines that get all
> > kinds of weird errors when sealed up, all due to things that should be
> > hot getting quite hot.  If all else fails, maybe just let it run open
> > and aim a desk fan into it?
>
> I thought about that.  This box sat in an airconditioned datacenter running
> 24x7 for 3 years with the cover on, and our loft is fairly cool, although
> not datacenter cool (if I keep the thermostat set too low, my wife doesn't
> run around naked - gotta have your priorities!!).
>
> It's running fine now, with no errors in the console, so I just need to find
> a working tape-drive!!!
>
> Thanks for your help!!
>
> madmac
>
> --
> Doug MacFarlane
> madmac@covad.net

I've been told that PC-styled systems actually run cooler with the cover
on, as the fans pull more of the air over the cpu and other electronics
then, where having the cover off pulls most of the air from the side and
almost directly to the power supply, while most of the rest of the
components sit in idle (and warming) air.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org