Re: dhcp-dns problem

Alex Malinovich, 2002-Nov-12 00:40 -0600:
> And finally, I keep seeing references to BOOTP while looking around for
> information. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with what BOOTP is.
> All I know is that it allows a computer to get an IP address and some
> basic network information. It sounds to me a lot like DHCP with some
> options being passed. I don't HAVE to have all the machines in my
> network listed in DNS, I just need to have them SOMEHOW accessible to
> each other by name instead of just by IP. So if BOOTP (or any other
> protocol) can handle this for me with a minimum amount of hassle I'd be
> very happy to give it a shot. TIA for any help.

This is the only thing I can help with....BOOTP is the protocol used
for the DHCP application.  BOOTP runs on ports 67 (server) and 68
(client).  Also, BOOTP uses UDP.

On my local LAN, I drop port 68 on my external interface because I'm
on a cable modem loop and I see all the other client DHCP requests.
However, I listen on port 67 on my internal interface because that
machine serves DHCP to my internal LAN.

I hope this helps,
jc

--