Re: Why mount -o remount,ro /usr (sometimes) fails after apt-get dist-upgrade?

* sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> [11-11-2002 18:46]:
> if you want to remount /usr read only, and have physical access
> to the machine, just going into single user mode and remounting
> it should do the trick, and then when you come back up into
> multi-user mode /usr will stay ro.

I don't mind booting the machine. In fact I prefer doing that to
changing runlevels.

My point is that some upgrades prove to be disruptive when you
expect to be able to apply upgrades on a running system without
downtime of the services it provides.

To be clear, I don't mind booting. The systems involved are hardly
critical. On a production system I would not dare changing anything
on a running system. Mounting /usr rw even for a short time is a
risk if mounting it ro is part of your security policy. And I'd like
to test a few things before I give a system back to its users.

I am just curious why I can do nine upgrades without a problem and
then have one that prohibits remounting /usr ro. I am looking to get
a better understanding of why this is happening to learn from it and
if appropriate file bug reports when I can establish that there is
in fact an error somewhere.

Bob