Re: UNIX shells - Bourne and C

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 05:32:58PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> The Korn shell is not free.  At one time you could buy source from
> AT&T by an anonymous uucp connection for IIRC $300 and we did that.

The Korn shell *used* to not be free, now it is, as in beer. You can
download it for free but not distribute it, and it is the ksh93 version
rather than ksh88 which pdksh emulates. Ksh93 is a pretty good scripting
language from what I hear, but outside of the propritary Unix world, where
ksh is the defacto standard, its not likely to catch on as long as AT&T
doesn't think it should be downloaded anywhere other than its servers.