Re: encrypting a single file

Rob Weir, 2002-Nov-10 16:08 +1100:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:11:34AM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> > Additionally, you need to set the encryption type, i.e. with:
> > M-x set-variable RET crypt-encryption-type RET
> > (C-h will show you help at this point)
> > "gpg" RET
> > then:
> > M-x crypt-rebuild-tables
> >
> > Well, but I then get "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil". Don't have
> > the time to investigate further now.
>
> Ok, final instructions that work this time:
> apt-get install crypt++el mailcrypt gnupg
>
> Add this line to your ~/.emacs:
> (setq crypt-encryption-type 'gpg)
>
> Recompile your .emacs if you're using byte-compilation.  Restart emacs.
>
> You should now be able to open previously encrypted files with emacs.
> If you create a new file with a .gpg extension, then emacs will ask you
> if you want to encrypt it when you save.  This seems to work _without_ a
> gpg keyring (though gpg does complain about it).
>
> Could someone test this out for me?  It works here, but it's always
> worked for me.
>
> -rob

Perfect!  That works perfectly for me with Woody and Emacs21.  I even
made edits to an encrypted file, saved, closed, and then opened the
file again and verified that the edits were saved and encrypted.  I
did 'cat' on the file to make sure the edits were not left in the
clear.

thanks for your help,
jc

--