Re: encrypting a single file

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:11:34AM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> Additionally, you need to set the encryption type, i.e. with:
> M-x set-variable RET crypt-encryption-type RET
> (C-h will show you help at this point)
> "gpg" RET
> then:
> M-x crypt-rebuild-tables
>
> Well, but I then get "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil". Don't have
> the time to investigate further now.

Ok, final instructions that work this time:
apt-get install crypt++el mailcrypt gnupg

Add this line to your ~/.emacs:
(setq crypt-encryption-type 'gpg)

Recompile your .emacs if you're using byte-compilation.  Restart emacs.

You should now be able to open previously encrypted files with emacs.
If you create a new file with a .gpg extension, then emacs will ask you
if you want to encrypt it when you save.  This seems to work _without_ a
gpg keyring (though gpg does complain about it).

Could someone test this out for me?  It works here, but it's always
worked for me.

-rob