Re: /dev/hda gone missing with kernel 2.4.19 when CMD680 detected?

on Sat, Nov 09, 2002, Graham Williams (gjw@edm.act.cmis.csiro.au) wrote:

> I'm installing Debian 3.0 on a new machine with a 80GB IDE recognised
> as /dev/hda. I've upgraded to kernel-image-2.4.19-686 as we've added
> another IDE card to the machine (a CMD680). Now when it boots (using
> Grub) the boot starts okay and then finds the CMD680 (presumably
> before it finds the original IDE) and starts assigning its 3 hard
> disks to /dev/hda, /dev/hdc, and /dev/hdd! Then I presume it's trying
> to mount /dev/hda, presumably expecting this to be the original
> /dev/hda that I installed Debian on.

> It doesn't seem to get to recognising the original IDE drive any more.
> It simply kernel panics and stops. Can still boot into the older
> 2.4.18 kernel (which doesn't recognise the CMD680 IDE card)
>
> Any ideas on what I can do here to get out of this pickle?

Are you using devfs?  You'll have to include an /etc/fstab line for it.

Did you include IDE support in your kernel?

It would help to post error output, probably from /var/log/dmesg or
/var/log/syslog.

Peace.

   ARM Computer:  Customer Service Hell On Earth
     http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-November/038616.html