/dev/hda gone missing with kernel 2.4.19 when CMD680 detected?

I'm installing Debian 3.0 on a new machine with a 80GB IDE recognised
as /dev/hda. I've upgraded to kernel-image-2.4.19-686 as we've added
another IDE card to the machine (a CMD680). Now when it boots (using
Grub) the boot starts okay and then finds the CMD680 (presumably
before it finds the original IDE) and starts assigning its 3 hard
disks to /dev/hda, /dev/hdc, and /dev/hdd! Then I presume it's trying
to mount /dev/hda, presumably expecting this to be the original
/dev/hda that I installed Debian on.  It doesn't seem to get to
recognising the original IDE drive any more.  It simply kernel panics
and stops. Can still boot into the older 2.4.18 kernel (which doesn't
recognise the CMD680 IDE card)

Any ideas on what I can do here to get out of this pickle?

Thanks,
Graham