Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2002 #433

Hi debian-user-digest-request!

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

> yes this is true, debian however still uses gnome 1.4. It will probably
> be 1.5 to 2 years before gnome 2 shows up(the next "stable" release). if
> your feeling daring you can try testing and/or unstable but I have read

I have tried Suse a while ago and have followed the reviews in the
magazines eversince. In my book, if you come from Suse, you can use even
unstable without any loss of stability at all ;-)). Just be prepared to
find some loose ends sometimes where dependancies haven't been resolved
as perfectly as in stable (see below for an example).

> particular set of libraries or window manager. there is no official
> debian "version" of YaST, no real central confinguration tool.

There is no version of YaST at all (to my knowledge), but there are
several configuration tools you can use AFTER having completed the
initial installation of the system. I am aware of webmin and linuxconf
(which they have grabbed from Redhat :-).

> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.2.1-3_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults', which is also in
> package xnview

Try the following:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite xlibs_4.2.1-3_i386.deb

It surely does the trick, but be aware that it really overwrites the
files also managed by the other package.

So far I have never encountered any problems I could relate to such
double-management but you never know.

> Are we the only one with this Problem?

No, every user of unstable unavoidably runs into this. There is an
intrinsic risk but up until now I never encountered any critical
consequences in using the above command.

bye,
	Klaus

--
| | | | |  Klaus Bodo Valentin Lichti   | Tel.  +31-45-5670421     |
| |_|_| |  Nullanderstraat 72           | Mobil +49-700-99LICHTI   |