Re: RFC: Caps Lock

Thorsten Haude <debian@thorstenhau.de> [2002-11-10 19:42:10 +0100]:
> >> So what are your thoughts about this? Is there another good use I
> >> could put caps lock to? Experiences?

Out of the box a fresh install with X will give you the option to
customize the keyboard and make it into nothing or another control
key.  I believe package you could dpkg-reconfigure in order to see
that dialog is xserver-xfree86.  The dialog says exactly:

Template: xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/options
Type: string
 For the X server to handle your keyboard as you desire, keyboard options
 may be entered.  Available options depend on which XKB rule set was
 previously selected.  Not all options will work with every keyboard model
 and layout.
 .
 For example, if you wish the Caps Lock key to behave as an additional
 Control key, you may enter "ctrl:nocaps"; if you would like to switch the
 Caps Lock and left Control keys, you may enter "ctrl:swapcaps".
 .
 Advanced users can use any options compatible with the selected XKB model,
 layout and variant.  See the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols directory available
 options files, which define only partial keyboard translations.  (For
 example, /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ctrl.)
 .
 If you don't know what options to use, leave this entry blank.

I don't know if having a normal way to install this will influence
your decision or not.

So there is no doubt, I make caps a control like it was intended to
be in the first place.

My personal preferences: I further customize it by making the left
control into ESC as it has appeared in the previous HP workstation
keyboards.  I really got to like it there.  Not something you hold
down but just bang on it for the escape key and then move on.  I turn
the right control into caps lock so that I could still use it for
those once in a lifetime times.  I leave the original ESC key in the
original location.  These are all just my preferences.

Bob