Re: modprobe is automatically calling ifup/ifconfig. Why?

> Most likely it is not ifup, but some DHCP client that is being
> started. When debian boots, it runs 'ifup -a' (see
> /etc/init.d/networking) to bring up things listed as auto.

Actually, this is happening before /etc/rcS.d/S39ifupdown gets run. In
fact, I've pretty much traced it down to /etc/rcS.d/S20modutils.

I can also repeat this from the command line like so:

 joeslap# ifdown eth0
 joeslap# rmmod 3c59x

will remove the module and ifconfig will show no eth0. Then, if I do:

 joeslap# modprobe 3c59x

then, ifconfig will show eth0 up and configured with an IP... seemingly
with the static IP that I've got in /etc/network/interfaces.

> I suggest you modify your interfaces file so that eth0 is given a
> static address with no auto keyword.

I tried that... and it still comes up.

- Joe