Re: cannot 'startx' -fatal IO error

On 10 Nov 2002, Kent West wrote:
> cmustard wrote:
>
> >I have just installed the basic `x' package on a toshiba satellite
> >335CDS laptop, ( circa 98 ). I run debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18.
> >Here is some excerpts of my errror file. I would appreciate
> >any help or insight any onw could provide.
> >TIA
> >
> >-mUs
> >
> ><excerpt>
> >==) VGA(0): videoRam: 256 kBytes.
> >

> >(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "640x400" (vrefresh out of range)
> >

> >(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> >
> >Fatal server error:
> >no screens found
> >

> It basically means your video card doesn't have enough RAM to do much.
>
> If you actually have more RAM on your video card, you can edit
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and specify the amount of RAM on the card, but I
> don't know the exact syntax without doing some research.
>
> You can also increase/decrease the HorizSync and VertRefresh settings in
> that file to try to get a usable configuration, but you should be aware
> that if you overdrive the monitor you can damage/ruin it.
>
> You can also try running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and try
> different settings.
>
> Kent

I have a different Satellite (4000) and it won't run the 4 versions of
X. What I do is to download and install the older SVGA driver and follow
the instructions to use that instead. It may be worth while for you to
look at the Linux page on my website where I have recorded my experience
in setting up X on this machine.

Incidentally I've just done the same on an old PII desktop with an old
14" monitor.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic