Re: cannot 'startx' -fatal IO error

cmustard wrote:

I have just installed the basic `x' package on a toshiba satellite
335CDS laptop, ( circa 98 ). I run debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18.
Here is some excerpts of my errror file. I would appreciate
any help or insight any onw could provide. TIA

-mUs

<excerpt>
==) VGA(0): videoRam: 256 kBytes.
(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "640x400" (vrefresh out of range)
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

It basically means your video card doesn't have enough RAM to do much.

If you actually have more RAM on your video card, you can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and specify the amount of RAM on the card, but I don't know the exact syntax without doing some research.

You can also increase/decrease the HorizSync and VertRefresh settings in that file to try to get a usable configuration, but you should be aware that if you overdrive the monitor you can damage/ruin it.

You can also try running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and try different settings.

Kent