Re: UNIX shells - Bourne and C

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 06:39:51PM -0500, Joshua Lee wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 06:19:53PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> > Just wanted to know, does debian linux include the Bourne and C shell? In
> > redhat, they are a symbolic link to bash and tcsh respectively.
>
> You can install ash, the BSD sh, which is closer to the actual Bourne
> shell in behavior. I think csh is also similar. You should (and probably
> do) have bash also installed in a Linux system however because it's a
> defacto standard in the Linux world.

bash is Priority: required. Removing it would certainly make life
interesting :)

ash is supposed to be POSIX compliant, and according to the package
description it makes a better /bin/sh because it is smaller.  However
I beleive there are some Bourne shell features not present in ash (I
don't have a reference for that, it's from memory which may be
faulty).

AFAIK tcsh is the only C shell available for Debian.

  Whenever men attempt to suppress argument and free speech, we may
  be sure that they know their cause to be a bad one.
          -- R. G. Horton