Fik question about Debian source packages

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 02:39:17 +0000, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 02:08:49AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>> Compiled v4.2 of X today.
>
>I'm wondering why you don't just use the Debian source package ...

I took your advice; I tried to get the Debian source package for
Mozilla today. I went to
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages and searched
for mozilla... loads of results... looked through for something with
"src" in the name somewhere... nothing. Trying to search the package
contents online via a browser is really painful. I ended up
downloading mozilla_1.0.0.orig.tar.gz plus the diff and the dsc. Is
this really what one does?

Course the main site search engine is down at the moment which
probably doesn't help.

Please: what is the convention for Debian package names by which I may
distinguish a source package?

May I suggest that the package search results webpages should include
a little more information on what the various packages are? My search
for mozilla threw up about 54 results with very brief descriptions -
none of which included the word "source" - not having realised that
Mozilla came in so many bits, I found it a bit bewildering to work out
what they all were.

Also, on the pages for each individual package, in the "Other packages
related to xxxxx" section, the Depends/Recommended/Suggested icons
can't be read with images turned off (unless you mess around hovering
the mouse on each one). AARGH! May I suggest letters D, R, S instead?

I guess most people never see this because they apt-get everything. I
haven't got around to setting this up yet. I'm still setting up X 4.2
on my previously X-free box, including hack to the mouse driver for my
odd mouse. I need a graphical app to test this properly in; best get
the one I wanted X for - Mozilla. I want to get this out of the way
first, otherwise I'll get mental stack overflows walking the problem
tree!

Also I'm scared of it. I initially tried the lazy way out by
downloading the Mozilla binary .deb and 'dpkg -i'ing it. This gave me
a "dependency nightmare". I downloaded:

apt
console-common
console-data
debconf
dpkg
e2fsprogs
kbd
libc6
libglib1.2
libgtk1.2
libgtk1.2-common
libncurses
libnspr
libstdc++
mount
perl-base
slang1
sysvinit
util-linux
zlib1g

before giving up in disgust. Some of these were older versions than I
already had. I worry that if I do get apt up and running, I'm gonna
have to spend a week online downloading half my system again as soon
as I want a new package.

Pigeon