Re: Why does gdm override umask setting?

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:

> I know just enough to be dangerous here.  I don't use gnome myself so
> take this with some caution.  But a friend told me that the gnome
> login manager looks for ~/.gnomeprofile.  I am told it needs execute
> permission whereas normally .profiles do not and should not need this.
> Also, gdm runs a .gnomerc if it exists.  This must start up a gnome
> session if it does exist but can do whatever else you want.  (Like run
> ssh-agent.)  This is all hearsay for me but perhaps it will help.

Thanks for the pointer.

I find no reference to ~/.gnomeprofile on my system (Gnome 1.4 under
Debian Woody).

But, creating a ~/.gnomerc containing just "umask 002" does indeed
work around the problem.  Execute permission is not required, the file
is sourced, not exec-ed.

Still seems like a bug to me, though.  Nowhere else in Debian do I
need to perform any special configuration magic to login with user
groups working smoothly and transparently.

Is this problem specific to Gnome and gdm, or do all the X session
startups behave this way?
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA