Why does gdm override umask setting?

I finally figured out why my umask gets set to 022 when I log in with
gdm, and not 002, the value I get when loggin in over a virtual
console or telnet session.  /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome checks the UMASK
definition in /etc/login.defs, while ignoring "USERGROUPS_ENAB yes" in
the same file.

This is frustrating, because putting "umask 002" in ~/.profile or
~/.bash_profile has no effect under gdm.  /etc/profile doesn't seem to
run, either, or it would fix this problem.  Why not?

Debian appears to be carefully constructed to support user groups.  My
login and group names and numbers are both the same, so 002 should be
the correct umask value.

Is this just a bug, or did I misconfigure something somewhere?  I
don't see this listed as a gdm bug.  Should I report it?
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA