Re: Root can't login (but can in single user mode)

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:20:33 +0100 Xaveer Leijtens <xaveer@xlpc.et.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> I run debian woody on a number of machines, but on one of them I can't
> login as root. Only if I reboot in single user mode, everything is fine.

Did this start after a crash? A similar thing happened to me a while back,
my machine crashed and then no user could login except root in single user.
I sniffed a pam problem and, sure enough, my /etc/pam.d directory was gone.
I just restored it from backup, and all was right again.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/