How to fix dselect

Okay, I've just tried to uninstall both KDE *and* Gnome in order to fix my problems, and have found the source of my problem a little bit better, but not how to fix it:

Dselect seems to be hopelessly jammed up.

If anyone has some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Situation Review:

Trying to install KDE version of cupsys, kept getting a message "libopencdk0 not available -- cupsys depends on libopencdk0". So I did a google search, found the file, stuck it in /home/Public, and then ran

> dpkg --install ./libopencdk0_0.2.deb

Now whenever dselect runs "Install", I see

dpkg --admin dir /var/lib/dpkg -iGROEB /home/Public
Version 0.2.0-1 of libopencdk0 already installed, skipping.
Installation OK.  Hit RETURN.

and it never installs or uninstalls any other software.

How do I reset dselect so I can actually *uninstall* all of KDE, and then *maybe* again try to reinstall KOffice, at least, and *maybe* again try to install KDE 3.0.4?

Note: I did try aptitude, and aside from the fact that it is super slow, I don't have the aptitude yet to figure it out. I have to learn these things slowly, it seems, only one new system at a time.