Re: squid and snmp

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, nate wrote:

> Sebastiaan said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to monitor squid with mrtg, for which snmp is needed. As far
> > as I know snmp support is compiled in by default on Debian (I checked the
> > debian/rules in the sources), but I can't get it to work.
>
> > # /usr/share/doc/libsnmp-session-perl/examples/snmpwalkh.pl
> > public@127.0.0.1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.3495.1.1
>

> be sure you specify the port, by default squid uses port UDP/3401
> for all SNMP traffic, doing a snmpwalk by default uses UDP/161.
>
> you can see an example of my squid/mrtg config here:
> http://mrtg.aphroland.org/squid.conf
>
> and the output it produces here:
> http://mrtg.aphroland.org/squid/

thanks for the config. Makes nice pics. Unfortunately, by taking one of
your configurations (squid.cache.disk), 'mrtg /etc/mrtg.conf' complains
with the output:

WARNING: Could not match host:'public@192.168.1.3:3401' ref:'' key:''
ERROR: Target[cache-disk] eval warning: Bareword "squid" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 31) line 1.
Bareword "cacheSystem" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 31) line 1.
Bareword "cacheSysStorage" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 31) line 1.

This is my part of mrtg.conf:
WorkDir: /var/www/
WriteExpires: Yes
LoadMIBs: /usr/lib/squid/mib.txt

Target[cache-disk]: squid.cacheSystem.cacheSysStorage.0:public@192.168.1.3:3401
Title[cache-disk]: The amount of space (KB) used to cache objects on disk.
PageTop[cache-disk]: Cache Statistics: Size of objects on disk  </H1>
LegendI[cache-disk]: Objects on Disk(KB)
LegendO[cache-disk]:
Legend1[cache-disk]: Objects on Disk(KB)
Legend2[cache-disk]:
YLegend[cache-disk]: per minute
MaxBytes[cache-disk]: 524288000
Options[cache-disk]: gauge