Re: SCSI card & DAT tape drive

On Friday 08 November 2002 10:07 pm, Johan van der Walt wrote:
> I installed Woody yesterday on my PC. Everything seems okay except for
> the fact that I can't access my DAT tape drive. On Potato it was seen
> immediately and I expected the same with Woody but it does not see it.
> All my work stuff is back-upped on the the DAT tape and I need to get it
> back on the hard drive as quickly as possible.
>
> I followed the normal installation procedure but cannot remember that
> I have anywhere seen any reference to SCSI devices.
>
> What is the easiest way to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Johan van der Walt

Hi Johan

I've got a Sony DDS3 drive running on an Adaptec 2940 here under Woody, so it
is definitely possible.

Two things need to be working: SCSI and SCSI tape support.

Have a look in /var/log/dmesg:

(a) Does your SCSI adapter get detected ?

  - if not, you need to add support for your adapter to the kernel

(b) Does the SCSI adapter recognise the tape drive ?

  - if not, this is likely to be a cabling or setup problem, which is unlikely
    if all that has happened is a software upgrade

(c) Does the tape drive get recognised by the kernel ? (look for "st0")

  - if not, you need to add SCSI tape support to the kernel

HTH

- Derek